THE HISTORY OF TEWKESBURY

James Bennett: 1-902918-12-6
A new edition of this valuable research book

This remarkable account of one of England's most attractive small towns was not only compiled but also printed and published by James Bennett in 1830. It is considered to be one of the most informed books of its kind to have been written at that time.

The contents describe the growth of the town from earliest times and the endowment and eventual suppression of the Benedictine monastery. Other chapters include full details of parliamentary elections and the holders of office in the town council; the building of the iron bridge over the Severn by Thomas Telford; and the repairs to the Abbey in 1828.

The extensive notes and thirty-eight appendices are an important source of relevant documents from many different periods of English History, and include various royal charters given to the town and extracts from the Domesday Book.

The Author

James Bennett was born in 1785 at Falfield in Gloucestershire and was apprenticed for seven years to a printer and bookseller in Bath. He worked briefly in London and Gloucester before starting his own printing and bookselling business at 139 High Street in Tewkesbury in 1810.

He married Hannah Phillips in 1823 and they had five children, two of whom died in infancy. He was a town councillor, churchwarden of the Abbey at the time of its restoration in 1828, and died in 1856 at the age of 70.


See also Malvern Chase and Hanley Castle


Enlarge the coverYou may order here:


Back to the Cappella Archive catalogue