MEMORIALS OF OXFORD

JAMES INGRAM: 978-1-902918-44-0
New Three Volume Edition

The 'Memorials of Oxford' were compiled by James Ingram between 1833 and 1837 and have always been held in high regard, not only for the energetic research and critical observations of the author, but also for the three hundred illustrations contained therein. These include many fine engravings produced by John Le Keux from the original drawings of the painter and architectural daughtsman Frederick Mackenzie.

The attraction of many early Victorian local histories lies in the account of those buildings, customs, and social attitudes that have been lost since the time that they were written. This new edition makes such information available to the modern reader.

The text is that of the first edition and the original spellings and punctuation have been retained. The opportunity has been taken to remove the repeated sectional numbering of the pages; to provide an index, and to place the lengthy footnotes at the end of each chapter. The many drawings and plates may speak for themselves and every effort has been made to match the clarity of the originals.

Volume One: Colleges
Christ Church, University, Balliol, Merton, Exeter, Oriel, Queen's, New, Lincoln, All Souls'.

Volume Two: Colleges, Halls, etc.
Magdalen, Brasenose, Corpus Christi, Trinity, St John's, Jesus, Wadham, Pembroke,
Worcester, St Mary Hall, Magdalene Hall, St. Alban Hall, St. Edmund Hall,
The Bodleian Library, The Schools.

Volume Three: History, Churches, etc.
General History, Oxford Castle, The University Press, The Observatory,
The Ashmolean Museum, The Radcliffe Library, The Botanic Garden,
St. Peter's, St. Mary the Virgin, St. Michael's, St. Martin's, St. Peter's,
St. Aldate's, St. Ebbe's, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Giles, Holywell,
St. Clement's. St. Thomas, Iffley Church.

Order form

Sample pages

Three volumes

You may order the three volume special edition here:

Back to the Cappella Archive catalogue

 

The Author
James Ingram was born in Warminster in 1774 and educated at Winchester and Trinity College, Oxford, where he became a Fellow and elected as President in 1824.
He was appointed the Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon in the University; a Master of the Examination Schools; Keeper of the Archives; and a member of the Society of Antiquaries. He was considered a fine Anglo-Saxon scholar but is mainly remembered for his 'Memorials of Oxford' issued in three volumes between 1832 and 1837 and in two volumes in 1847.
He was married but died childless in Sept 1850 and was buried at Garsington.